Fairview Health Services/HealthEast is seeking a full time Certified Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant to join our growing Neurosurgery practice. In this role, the NP or PA will practice independently and collaboratively to deliver care to a wide variety of Neurosurgery patients with acute and traumatic conditions of the brain and spine, and chronic and surgical conditions in the inpatient setting to include the clinic, emergency room, intensive care unit, operating room and neurosurgical unit. As a surgical first assistant you will work closely with the surgeon to facilitate the procedure and process of surgery. This job can be demanding, therefore emotional stamina and physical endurance are required. The ideal candidate has extensive critical care experience and functions at an expert level.
- Practice independently and collaboratively managing patients with a wide variety of neurological conditions of the brain and spine with varying acuity in the inpatient setting.
- Anticipate and diagnose emergent, urgent and life-threatening situations.
- Call coverage to include 1st Call week day evenings and nights, weekends and holidays, using telemedicine ability to interpret patient’s imaging, labs and history and development appropriate plan of care --Recognizes neurological emergencies requiring intervention of Neurosurgeon.
- Required to work weekends and holidays.
- Performs new patient consults, identifies and orders appropriate diagnostic testing and consults to facilitate treatment plan.
- Collects applicable patient history and organizes, interprets, and presents to the attending surgeon to allow for informed care decisions –implements plan as directed.
- Acts as a consultant to and/or refers and accepts referrals from health-care providers, community agencies and allied non-health-care professionals.
- Uses advanced health assessment skills to differentiate between normal, variations of normal and abnormal findings, and identifies critical events requiring immediate intervention by the surgeon.
- Employs appropriate diagnostic strategies in the development of diagnoses and treatment plans.
- Provides and prescribes medications within area of specialty.
- Collaborates with other caregivers to facilitate care of the patient
- Collaborates in planning for transitions across the continuum of care
- Performs invasive/non-invasive procedures
- Basic knowledge of ICD 10 coding, and ensures the capture of complete and accurate diagnosis codes.
- As First Assistant, responsible for identifying patient barriers to surgery and facilitating resolution, maintaining the sterile field, understanding the procedure being performed, anticipating the needs of the surgeon, maintaining knowledge base, maintaining quality patient care during the operative procedure, and being constantly vigilant that all members of the team adhere to aseptic technique. Expected to independently prepare and position the patient for surgery, assist in visualization of the operating field, provide hemostasis, perform closure of incisions, apply various wound dressings and manage the patient postoperatively.
- Initial market competitive salary
- Comprehensive benefits package: annual CME allowance, malpractice insurance with tail coverage, retirement contributions & more.